Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Science of Happy Design - SXSW 2015

The Science of Happy Design - SXSW 2015


So much attention is focused on how technology makes us sad, lonely, addicted, lazy, and maybe a little stupid. At the same time, we know that technology is actually making all of us feel smart, whole, and connected. What if we could intentionally design technologies for positive emotions and positive outcomes? This is at the heart of happy design. 

Learn how to measure for the one thing that matters - happiness - and how to identify the five elements of positive design.
Published in: Design

 Transcript

  • 1. The science of Happy Design @paminthelab Change Sciences #happytech SXSW 2015
  • 2. Technology makes us DIStracted
  • 3. It leaves us Lonely
  • 4. Reality is distorted
  • 5. Technology may make us stoopider
  • 6. Nomophobia yeah I think I have that Beth, Millennial “ #happytech
  • 7. We feel addicted
  • 8. We can imagine HIGH-TECH HAPPINESS
  • 9. But then… #happytech
  • 10. Pamela Pavliscak (part researcher, part data scientist) @paminthelab ChangeSciences
  • 11. data despair reality WTF experiments happiness Robot apocalypse the pursuit of happiness #happytech
  • 12. Global Values Survey and Gallup Happy Planet Index Access to technology can mean Greater happiness
  • 13. 1996 Made first website 1997 Used Amazon.com for the first time 2000 Bought a Pets.com sock puppet 2001 Consulted fetus/fruit timeline on Babycenter.com 2008 Established dog’s social media presence 2013 Discovered Twitter 2014 Made a Tumblr blog with daughter A few Happy moments
  • 14. And there is this…
  • 15. Is it possible for technology & happiness to CO-EXIST?
  • 16. We could ASK
  • 17. Surveys interviews Diaries SAMPLING Observation Biometrics SENSING Eye tracking Social listening #happytech
  • 18. We could OBSErVE
  • 19. Surveys interviews Diaries Sampling Observation Biometrics Sensing Eye tracking Social listening @paminthelab
  • 20. We could TRACK
  • 21. Surveys interviews Diaries sampling Observation Biometrics Eye tracking sensing Social listening
  • 22. We could Listen
  • 23. #100happydays behavioral economics neuroscience positive psychology happiness#instagood micro-volunteering affective computing
  • 24. Online study 8000 people 300 sites Diaries 1000 people Interviews 500 people Social listening 50 concepts/brands
  • 25. Does happiness matter?
  • 26. Rated Better Than Other Sites HappinessRatingAfterUse Aetna Healthcare.gov PBS Priceline Bank of America Citi Best Buy N=8000 Happiness = Better AmazonZappos Gap Expedia CBS WebMD Ally HGTV eHealth Chase Apple Kayak #happytech
  • 27. Happiness = likely to return Likelihood to return HappinessRatingAfterUse Delta Priceline Bank of America US Bank T Rowe Price Humana Amazon Zappos Expedia WebMDChase Home Depot Best Buy Kayak CBS Hotels.comUSAA @paminthelab
  • 28. Happiness Recommendations Happiness = Recommendations #happytech @paminthelab
  • 29. Happy sites 65+ social sentiment scoreLess happy 45 avg social sentiment score Happiness = Positive talk
  • 30. What does happiness Mean?
  • 31. Source: Change Sciences Not too busy Beautiful and colorful My favorites are easy to use It has to be simple & clean Convenience above all else People say this
  • 32. parallax simple authentic cinemagraphcatsinfographics video mobile responsive clever flatIoT big cards blurred geometric hipster low poly Shutterstock, 2015 Designers think maybe this #happytech
  • 33. WIFI self- actualization self- esteem belonging safety physical well-being PERMA There are Many models
  • 34. Is it Delight? #happytech
  • 35. delight research explore create analyze plan
  • 36. Everything on his site is funny but I have no idea why I would even need a password Dave, GenX “ #happytech
  • 37. I got a notification as I walked through the store as if my phone anticipated what I was going to do Ronja, Millennial “
  • 38. meh wow OMGyesmmm ( - -( ( ( ( ( ! ! Happiness varies in intensity #happytech
  • 39. weeks days hours minutes now now minutes hours daysnow anticipate savor express recall Happiness unfolds over time #happytech
  • 40. I use this app almost every day but I do not remember much really Brett, Millennial “
  • 41. Design fog
  • 42. connected in control entertained challenged nurtured informed smart inspired creative Happiness is made of this powerful @paminthelab
  • 43. Pleasure + Purpose #happytech
  • 44. Can we create Happiness?
  • 45. 01 ease
  • 46. Source: Change Sciences EaseofUseCombinedScore 75 Easy is the starting point #happytech
  • 47. It takes a certain amount of Pavlovian conditioning to use the site Mick, Gen X “
  • 48. AUTONOMY I can accomplish it without questions
  • 49. CONTROL I am a bit less anxious
  • 50. MASTERY I’ve got this down #happytech
  • 51. 02 trust
  • 52. AUTHENTICITY There is a real person in there
  • 53. RESPECT You know the boundaries
  • 54. I know it s an algorithm but it feels more like a friend Ali, Millennial “ ‘ #happytech
  • 55. CARE You’ve got me covered
  • 56. We were on the road and I worried a little but the system worked Todd, GenX “ #happytech
  • 57. 03 creativity
  • 58. + + + = WE feel EXPECTATION CREEP #happytech
  • 59. PLAY I can try things out without risk
  • 60. Discovery You surprise me a little
  • 61. It is a balance of new discoveries and old friends Adrianne, Millennial “
  • 62. Serendipity I’ll leave it to you
  • 63. Making I can create what’s important to me
  • 64. My little sister loves to draw and I love sharing photos of her Antonia, GenZ “
  • 65. 04 connection
  • 66. LIKE-MINDED I belong here
  • 67. Seeing that people repost my pins makes me feel like I am actively involved in the art community Alyson, Millennial “
  • 68. Presence People I care about are here #happytech
  • 69. I love to see what other people are looking for Carol, Boomer “
  • 70. Community We share an interest
  • 71. I have connected with new people around the world and we help each other out all the time Mike, Millennial “
  • 72. I feel happy when I can make someone else happy April, Millennial “ #happytech
  • 73. 05 meaning
  • 74. knowledge I am constantly learning
  • 75. CONTINUITY I move between digital & real
  • 76. I check on HONY every day because there is always a story that inspires me to do or give more Janessa, Millennial “ #happytech
  • 77. NARRATIVE I’m part of a bigger story
  • 78. Positive design is about possibilities Positive design helps people be more awesome
  • 79. Happiness The one measure that matters Just No #happytech
  • 80. Source: Change Sciences The happy path Pleasure + purpose
  • 81. elements of happiness ease of use creativity trust connection meaning #happytech
  • 82. Positive Design changesciences.com/a-positive-design-manifesto okcancelproject.com @paminthelab