Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Storytelling in 2014

Storytelling in 2014


The attention of the consumer has changed, so why hasn't the attention of the marketers? Learn to communicate with your consumers like the year that it actually is...
Published in: MarketingTechnologyBusiness



 Transcript

  • 1. I wake up every morning upset about one core thing:
  • 2. That’s it.
  • 3. The reason I was able to be so successful at The Wine Library wasn’t my charisma…
  • 4. It wasn’t my good looks. (ok, maybe a little)
  • 5. It was based on the fact that I understood where the consumer was in 1996…
  • 6. And more importantly…
  • 7. … Where they were going to be in 1998
  • 8. I’m passionate about the ways we get stuck as marketers:
  • 9. Marketers spend millions on: Billboards Direct mail Print WHY? Radio TV
  • 10. Many of these are collapsing in terms of getting the attention of the user.
  • 11. If you can name the last time you…
  • 12. A. Didn’t fast-forward through a commercial
  • 13. B. Stopped to look at outdoor media
  • 14. C. Were excited to open an email
  • 15. Then email me at gary@vaynermedia.com and tell me about it. (Because I bet you can’t)
  • 16. And even if you can,
  • 17. you don’t seriously believe that billboards are worth as much now as they were pre-cellphones, right?
  • 18. Same is true for Email (which was Wine Library’s foundation, I might add)
  • 19. If you’re reading this, and you work in email marketing…
  • 20. I want you to email me and tell me the last time you had a click-thru rate of over 28%* (gary@vaynermedia) (because I bet you can’t) *if you have a list of over 100k
  • 21. The value proposition just isn’t the same as it used to be.
  • 22. And it’s because of (sorry to say) people like me
  • 23. There was a day when you were super excited to buy $40 of sushi for $20 on Groupon. *
  • 24. But these days you mark all that shit as before it even hits your inbox *
  • 25. because you’ve been getting blasted at scale for the last three years. *
  • 26. What’s the fix ? *
  • 27. What do you do when the ROI in 2013 for TV, Billboards, and Email sucks in comparison to 2004, 1994, or 1984??? *
  • 28. Here is what it comes down to: *
  • 29. Every single marketer out there is a STORYTELLER *
  • 30. It is our job to tell our value proposition *
  • 31. (what our story is) *
  • 32. to customers along the path of purchase. *
  • 33. Period. *
  • 34. And to be a good storyteller, *
  • 35. first you need the ATTENTION of the customer to even get that chance. *
  • 36. And their attention is shifting, my friends, and it is shifting FAST. *
  • 37. Our society is experiencing ADD at scale, which means *
  • 38. TIME and ATTENTION are commodities… *
  • 39. They are by far the most valuable resources in the game. *
  • 40. Most marketers treat social media as a “distribution channel,” *
  • 41. as just another way to blast you with the same shit. *
  • 42. They are missing the fact that social networks are the first platforms ever that are actually a two-way conversation. *
  • 43. Just look at Twitter and how it is the cocktail party of the internet. *
  • 44. Now what makes you a good cocktail party guest? *
  • 45. Is it talking about yourself for 95% of the time? *
  • 46. I don’t know what kind of cocktail parties you go to… but I really, really, really hope your answer is “NO.” *
  • 47. Look at my Twitter account, @GaryVee. Literally 90% of my tweets are engaging with other users. *
  • 48. That’s how you bring value. *
  • 49. The trick here… *
  • 50. the way to truly succeed and provide value… *
  • 51. is to learn to natively storytell on each platform. *
  • 52. Respect the psychology of what makes a Facebook user *
  • 53. different from a Pinterest user *
  • 54. and more different still from an Instagram user. *
  • 55. Can you understand WHY people find value in platforms? *
  • 56. Because I promise you, those who don’t learn how to tell their stories on today’s platforms are the ones who will go out of business. *
  • 57. And much smarter, richer, more wellsupported people than you have been put out of business for that very reason *
  • 58. Because they refuse to play like the year that it is, 2014 *
  • 59. It goes on and on, and I could make an entire book… *
  • 60. …giving you tactical advice for how to create the best micro-content… *
  • 61. (oh wait… I did) *
  • 62. MY NEW BOOK IS HERE Jab Jab Jab Right Hook available now on Amazon! *